Friday, May 13, 2011

Digging Deeper James 2:14-17

James 2:14-17
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Points to ponder
I grew up believing that "if I lived a good enough life" I'd go to heaven. It was a works-based theology, and I didn't know any different. As I came to Christ in my 20s I learned of faith and salvation freely given by Jesus Christ, not earned or warranted. Sounds simple enough but honestly there are times that the "doing" in my life still silently gives me a sense of righteousness. Old habits die hard.

Faith is a verb not a noun. Faith isn't just thinking something is true. Faith, genuine faith, results in action. Likewise, action can be action through sheer act of human will void of any Holy Spirit power. Faith without works does not save (it's not really faith) and works without faith do not save because they are merely a result of human effort.

Let our faith shine through the works the Father has given us to do in His Holy Spirit power. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Eph 2:10

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: