Thursday, May 05, 2011

It's All Greek To Me

...often an expression we use when we feel like we can't understand something. Have you ever felt intimidated by the Word? When I came to Christ ten years ago, I had a Bible that I rarely read, but never-the-less I owned one. I remember asking my Pastor if the one I had was alright to use. He said; "Sure, just start reading." I did, and God continues to reveal Himself through it. This year I decided to read through the Bible in a year. What a blessing! It's been tough to discipline myself, but I haven't given up. If I miss a day or two, I just start where it begins that day and keep going. Did you know that God made a donkey speak? (Numbers 22) I didn't. It's really an adventure reading through the Bible, but it's not a mystery nor is God the author of confusion.

I read a devotional once that stressed the importance of "really" understanding certain words by looking up their Greek meaning. It was sad that the author seemed to lead the reader to believe that if they didn't understand Greek they really couldn't understand what God was saying. That's just not true. Knowing the Lord Who is the Author of each word is far more important than its Greek root. My fiancé attends Bible College and they have their students dig deep into the Word. I clearly see the benefit in that deeper study and am glad he's the one with the homework!

Please understand, I'm not discouraging a deeper study, but encouraging you to study...study...study, whatever language you speak and trust the Teacher will interpret His Book. After all, His purpose in writing it was to reveal Himself to us.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer

DIGGING DEEPER
James 2:12-13
So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

No comments: