Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Even though the skies have been gray and dreary I have attempted to do some spring cleaning. I can not tell you how much I dread the change-over of clothes, the cleaning of windows and so much more. It is not the act of doing these chores that I can't stand. It is what I see and feel about myself that frustrates me.

Let's begin in the closet. I think there is something about playing dress-up as a child that I never got over. I am at the point where I am ashamed at ALL that I have. I always see my heart when I open my closet. I see the little girl who was mocked for having her pants too short. (Today they are called ankle pants. I can't wear them because to me they are "flood" pants and people laugh when you wear them!) I see the fourth daughter who always had hand-me-downs. (I would do well to shop more thrift stores!) I see the woman who is afraid, insecure and defines herself often by an outward appearance.

Moving on to the blinds and windows that hang in my bedroom I see last year's pollen and dust. A swiffer will not be sufficient. Hot water, Mr. Clean and a rag will be needed. I begin this chore and get frustrated with the fact that if I did this more often it wouldn't be so hard. I begin to think of the time I wasted when I could have been doing something productive. Although I am cleaning now, I feel like a lazy bum who spent too much time doing insignificant things that ate away at my time. As I lift the clean window into place, I find that I did something wrong. The window will not lock into its upright position. Now I am mad that I broke the window and wonder why I attempt to do anything at all! By time the first window is clean I have turned myself into an unworthy wife, a rotten mother and a complete failure at life!

Whether it be spring, summer, fall or winter I find it hard to live in my true identity. I fall back on what the world tells me more often. My false thinking tends to be like the pollen and dirt stuck to my windowsill. It takes a lot for me to get rid of it.

Lately, when I open my closet, I am convicted of my abundance of "stuff." I need to heed the warning that my life does not consist of my possessions and I better be on guard against my greed (Luke 12:15). We, as women, are told it is about how we look, what we wear, what we have, blah,blah,blah! But we need to cling to truth more then we cling to our "stuff."

When I clean a window I think about the lack of repentance in my heart. How much junk has lived and lurked in there without being cleaned out? The truth be told, if I spent more time on my heart being right and in alignment with Christ, the cleaning out would not be so heavy and burdensome.

Regardless of what we still have to clean this spring it may be time to sit and reflect. Forget the closets, the windows and let's not even think about the garage! Let's do some inner cleaning and ponder on this truth.

"Behold, you desire truth in the innermost being, and in the hidden part you will make me know wisdom. Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise." Psalm 51:6,7,10,17

Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 2:12-13
So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

No comments: