Friday, August 26, 2011

Digging Deeper James 4:10 Points to Ponder

James 4:10
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Humility: I am by no means an expert. I fail over and over. Just when I think I have been humble I realize I'm proud of how humble I was. Is genuine humility something we move in and out of or is it something we are? I am also aware that I can APPEAR humble in my actions but not BE humble in my heart. Oh, how I long to be humble from my heart.

Even as I consider this week's verse, if I our motivation for humility is that God will exalt us, isn't that in itself pride? What motivates a genuine humble heart?
C.J. Mahaney wrote a great book, "Humility: True Greatness" and in it offers the following definition: "Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness." (pg. 12)

Genuine humility is born out of not just knowledge of God's greatness, but belief based on an accurate view of God and an accurate view of self. We tend to flip flop that; we think too little of God and too much of ourselves.

Read and think through the following verses. I hope they both challenge and bless your heart.

He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. Psalm 25:9

For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. Psalm 149:4

When pride comes, than comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. Proverbs 11:2

But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. Isaiah 66:2

Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. 1 Peter 3:8

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you... 1 Peter 5:6

Do not grow disheartened; in Christ we have victory.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.


No comments: