Thursday, August 04, 2011

No, the spirit has flown...

In a recent remake of the movie "True Grit", there's a scene early on in which the main character, Mattie, arrives at the undertaker's to claim her murdered father's remains. At which point the undertaker allows her to view the body and says to her, "If you would like, you may kiss him." To which she replies, "No, the spirit has flown."

His spirit departs, he returns to his earth;
In that very day his plans perish.
Psalm 146:4 (NKJV)

I remember when my dad died, almost seventeen years ago now... his funeral was, to say the least, very difficult. We all loved him and his death came unexpectedly. At the time I was 8-months pregnant and my family was concerned that the grief and stress of his loss on me and the baby would be overwhelming. They were careful to not let me spend too much time lingering at his side. I remember that it bothered me he didn't smell like "daddy." I brought his cologne (Canoe) to the funeral home later in the day and my brother put some on him...but still, daddy was gone.

Although he was a wonderful father to me, he did not know the Lord, nor did I at the time. I didn't feel the need to kiss him, but stroked his hair, touched his arm and pulled away. I knew that although his body was there, "the spirit had flown." He and I had no "unfinished business," no unspoken words, or hugs or kisses not given or received. I praise God there had been much love given and returned. I couldn't even say that I hadn't shared Jesus Christ with him. How could I have shared something I had yet to receive?

I pursue no revenge. My father died of a massive heart attack. In God's sovereignty, which I did not then, nor do I now question, it was his time. What I do pursue is the opportunity to share Jesus Christ with others. I know my earthly father, if he could, would beg me to do that. And my heavenly Father commands it.
Mattie spent the remainder of the movie hunting down her father's killer in pursuit of justice and revenge. She seemed to have "True Grit" in that she was determined despite all costs to would avenge her father's death. Part of the movie's soundtrack included "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," a great old hymn some of you may know. Mattie didn't seem to be leaning on God's everlasting arms, but on her own strength.

...What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain:
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms....

The spirit does depart, either to spend eternity with the Lord or eternity separated from the Lord. When your spirit has departed, where will it have flown?

Psalm 146 (NKJV)
1 Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD, O my soul!
2 While I live I will praise the LORD;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
3 Do not put your trust in princes,
Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His spirit departs, he returns to his earth;
In that very day his plans perish.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help,
Whose hope is in the LORD his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth,
The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever,
7 Who executes justice for the oppressed,
Who gives food to the hungry.
The LORD gives freedom to the prisoners.
8 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind;
The LORD raises those who are bowed down;
The LORD loves the righteous.
9 The LORD watches over the strangers;
He relieves the fatherless and widow;
But the way of the wicked He turns upside down.
10 The LORD shall reign forever-
Your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the LORD!


Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer

For more information on how to know God, click the following link to our website. http://www.americaskeswick.org/364496.ihtml

DIGGING DEEPER
James 4:5-6
Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"?
But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (ESV)

No comments: