Tuesday, August 16, 2011

God's Provision

There are times when I am on the road for work. I have told Diane that if I got paid by the u-turn I would be rich. One day I was once again making a u-turn. I thought I was in the right place but quickly realized I was not. The road took me to an area where I saw a young mother and her daughter riding bikes. I stopped to ask her if she knew the road I was looking for. She went to ask someone because she was not sure. While I waited for her I saw a home that looked like it had seen better days. With my judgmental thinking, "How could people live there?" and "What a dump!" running through my head I saw a small sign in the window that read "God's Provision". I was cut to the heart. The folks living here were grateful. These folks were content to know that God had provided for their needs. I was just judgmental and full of pride.

Our area has seen some pretty nasty storms lately and I wonder if I lost everything to one type of disaster or another, would I be able to see God's provision? What if His provision was a home that had seen better days yet provided shelter, a place to sleep and my basic needs were met? Jonah was provided a tree for his comfort. (Jonah 4) When the worm ate it he was unhappy and his concern was only for his comfort not his obedience to the next thing God was calling him to do.

What if it isn't about where you live but who you live with? Do we look at our husbands and think about all the improvements that need to be made rather than the good that God is providing through them? How about the kids? We might be quick to think, "They really haven't lived up to my expectations". Yet, these are the children that God gave us as gifts. Do we just push the gift aside because we have become judgmental and our pride is hurt? At the least, the people in our lives have been provided to sandpaper our rough edges. They are God's provision for the work He wants to accomplish in each of us.

Maybe it is another challenge of life that keeps you from recognizing God's provision. A loss, a health concern or a deep hurt. You may be wondering where God is or when He might deliver. In the midst of it, you may have to look beyond the obvious for God's provision. If we are honest, we often have expectations of what God's gifts look like. We prefer the nicer accommodations, not the rundown home.
I know it can really stink where you are. Corrie Ten Boom was thankful for fleas & lice, which kept the Nazi guards at a distance so she could lead a Bible Study in a concentration camp. God's provision was lice. Today, can we be grateful for God's provisions even if they don't look the way we think they should?

Blessings,
Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 4:8-9
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.

No comments: