Friday, August 05, 2011

Digging Deeper James 4:5-6 Points to Ponder

James 4:5-6
Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"?
But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
(ESV)

Points to Ponder
I remember being struck by our pastor's statement that God opposes, resists, the proud. I have read that Scripture numerous times but apparently I never stopped to actually consider that in my pride, God opposes me. We tend to think of pride as the arrogant buffoon that parades around drawing attention to herself, demeaning others and elevating herself. But pride is soooo much more than that.

I was reminded today by a co-worker that anger is a form of pride because an angry person thinks they are right. Hmmm. I guess I never really thought of that, but it seems true. How about having to have the last word or the first word or the loudest word?

How about criticism or judgment? Don't they both involve pride?

But what is true humility? I don't think it is "acting" humble because even in "acting" humble we can be proud.

I trust you, like I, desire to be humble from the heart. When we are truly humble, God's grace will wash over us, for He gives grace to the humble.

Blessings,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 26 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: