Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Good Samaritan - Part Three of Three

Luke 10:25-37

We have been digging deep into the story of the Good Samaritan. This is the third and last part of a three-part devotional. I would encourage you to review the first two devotionals before reading this final one.

Victory Call regulars have been studying the book of James for some time. James 1:26-27 defines "religion" from the Christian point of view: "If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." Religion, when pure, is very powerful. However when religion becomes defiled it can rob individuals of their freedom to worship a holy God by instituting man-made rules and regulations. It can produce a carnal mind that is at enmity with God. It can block moving forward into the good plan God has for our future.

Today I want to review the story of a man from scripture who appears to have undefiled religion. If the spirit of religion tempted him, he must have defeated it. It appears that he move fully into the destiny God had prepared for him. His name is Caleb. He was one of the twelve spies Moses sent out when the Israelites came to The Promised Land after their trip from Egypt. Sadly, ten of the twelve spies only saw the giants in the land and the battles that would have to be fought. Joshua and Caleb, on the other hand, trusted in God fully and were ready to move in and take the land. The people were afraid and were ready to stone Joshua and Caleb. God was not happy (Num. 13:1- 14:12). Moses had to shift into intercession for the people once again. The people would have to wait 40 years to move into the Promised Land. As for Caleb, here is what God said about him: "But My servant Caleb, because he has had a different spirit and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land which he entered, and his descendants shall take possession of it" (Numbers 14:24).

During those 40 years of waiting I do not find one word to indicate that Caleb was bitter or angry. Nowhere do I see recorded that he spoke in a way as to consider himself more important or righteous than others. It does not appear that he began to fall into doubt or unbelief though he did have to wait. In fact, after the time of waiting Caleb went into the land he was promised. He was 85 (Joshua 14:12). He and his descendants walked into the plan God has for his life. What was his "secret"? I believe it is found in the passage of the Good Samaritan. Caleb loved God with his whole heart, mind, soul and strength. He loved his neighbor as himself. Why do I say this, you may ask? I say this because God said it. As I indicated before, God is quoted as saying Caleb followed Him fully. He had a "different spirit" than others. The following verses also indicate that Caleb followed God "wholeheartedly" (Numbers 32:12; Deut. 1:35; Joshua 14:8-9,14). Caleb was sincerely and completely devoted, determined and enthusiastic about the God He served.

Now what about you and me? I would encourage you to take some time to examine yourself and allow the Holy Spirit to uncover those places where you may have embraced the spirit of religion. Then I would encourage you to get free and follow God wholeheartedly. You might start with prayer, a prayer like this:

Father in heaven, I love You with all my heart. I repent for the times I chose ritual over relationship with You. Specifically, I renounce the alliance with vain religion that I have made. I will now engage my heart regularly when I pray and worship You. Your Word is the final authority in my life. I will no longer exalt man-made traditions over Your Word. Jesus, I ask You to cleanse me from this sin. I receive Your forgiveness by faith in the blood of Your cross. I now renounce this spirit of religion. I yield to the Holy Spirit that I might worship in Spirit and Truth. Holy Spirit, help me to wholeheartedly love the Lord my God with my heart, mind, soul and strength and my neighbor as myself. In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.

At the end of the story of the Good Samaritan Jesus asked the lawyer a different question. He said, "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" The lawyer did answer honestly, "The one who had mercy on him." That one was a Samaritan. I wonder if he walked away convicted or disgusted. Did he change his old mindset? The Bible doesn't tell us. We do know that the Pharisees and Sadducees went on to seek government assistance in the crucifixion of Jesus. The lawyer who initially asked Jesus the question about how to gain eternal life was likely a Pharisee or Sadducee.

My prayer is that you and I will take a very different route. We will seek to love the Lord our God with our whole heart, mind, soul and strength each and every day. We will love our neighbor as much as we love ourselves (Mark 12:30-31).

Blessings,
Patricia L. Wenzel
WOC Graduate

Resource Materials used from: Freedom from the Religious Spirit, General Editor C. Peter Wagner; Regal Books, 2005

DIGGING DEEPER
James 4:7-9
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.

No comments: