Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Driven

Today when I drove my son to school he said; "Well, Mom, I guess this is the last time you'll ever have to drive me to school."

He turns seventeen next week and, Lord willing, he will get his driver's license and be driving his own vehicle. As you'd expect, he's very excited and ready to roll, so to speak. In response to his comment about driving him to school I wanted to be sure he understood where my heart was, is, and always has been on the matter. This is what I said, "Just so you know, I've never minded it at all. Some may mind doing that type of thing, but I never have. Children are a gift from God; I consider it a privilege to do this. You be sure and remember that."

And he said, "Thank you."
Two little words that melted my heart.

Seventeen...wow, time does fly doesn't it, Mom? It doesn't seem to when you're up all night with a newborn, or wonder how you'll ever get all the things together that they need for the next school project, (for us it was the dreaded Festival of Excellence), or how you'll bake 24 cupcakes tonight for a party at school tomorrow that you just got informed of right before bedtime.

Reminds me of the time my son was in first grade and it was their tradition to hold a party on the 100th day of the school year. He was just getting over being sick and we weren't sure if he'd be back to school for the party. I remember he was very insistent that he could not be sick or miss that party. One reason was that we'd planned to bring in 100 balloons to his class. (I owned a helium tank at the time, don't ask!) Also don't ask how I fit them and him all in my car but I did! And boy was I glad I did. To this day I still remember the look on those little faces and the teachers too, when we walked in with 100 balloons. Thank you, John's Mom! It was so worth the effort and again was something I consider a privilege to have done.
I've fallen short many times as a mother of what the Lord expects from me. Would I go back and change some of the choices I made? Yes. But I can't do that. What I can do is be humble, seek forgiveness when needed (yes, even with my child), and move forward.

Whether they're seven or seventeen, serve your children well and enjoy them! Don't do it for the "thank yous," although they are nice. Do it for the Lord and thank Him.

Yes, thank you Lord for the runny noses, sleepless nights, school projects, last minute cupcakes and for the pleasure and honor of being called "John's Mom". Oh yeah, and for the countless trips back and forth to school all these years. I treasure those times and look forward to what's next. It's been quite a ride and I'm glad to be on it!

Dina Seaton
Marketing Assistant, Staff Writer
America's KESWICK

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:13
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.
Cross references:
A. James 5:13 : Col 3:16

No comments: