Wednesday, November 02, 2011

God's Sovereignty

Daniel answered and said, "Blessed be the name of God forever and ever: for wisdom and might are his" (Daniel 2:20).

After reading the six chapters of Daniel I was greatly encouraged by the way God continually gave Daniel discernment and wisdom, and how his life was protected. God used Daniel to forewarn the kings of what was to take place. How God revealed his greatness to the kings that didn't even know him. In a foreign land God demonstrated to them all these kingdoms will be destroyed, only the kingdom of God will endure forever.

An excellent example of a life dedicated, faithful and uncompromising to God was Daniel. Daniel's dedication was observed in the way he lived. His life was a great witness of the living God. His faithfulness was exceeded in his trials and was steadfast in his decision. As a man that prayed on his knees three times a day to the living God, it was evident he knew God.

Even though Daniel was removed from his homeland and taken into Babylon. He made up his mind not to defile himself with the king's choice of food or wine. Daniel had discernment with what was good for the body and what was evil. He didn't want anything unclean to enter his body. At times, I see the worldly delicacies, without thinking I quickly want to indulge. I need to pray and ask God to give me discernment to let nothing unclean enter my body.

Then the king had a dream and wanted someone wise to interpret the dream, if not the wise men in the kingdom were going to die. Daniel was in a serious situation, a matter of life or death for him and his friends. He went to the king to request some time to be able to interpret the dream. Then he went home and informed his friends. They requested from God compassion concerning the mystery. "Call to me, and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know" (Jeremiah 3:33).

Daniel revisited the king and informed him the mystery had been revealed. First Daniel introduces his sovereign God to the world and informs the king this is my God who reveals mysteries. I admire this about Daniel, he blessed God and honored him and gave our Lord all the glory. This is a challenge for me to honor God in everything I do and say no matter where I go or what is happening in my life. I have to recognize the opportunities God allows me to have to make him manifest in my life. I have to obey God and trust Him in all things. Also Daniel prayed three times a day. "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

They were officials and commissioners who didn't like Daniel. The officials plotted to do away with Daniel. They formed an injunction that any man who makes a petition to any god or man besides the king would be put in the lion's den. These men persuaded the king to sign the injunction. Daniel was brought into the lion's den. God delivered Daniel from the den of lions. Daniel trusted God with everything in his life. Daniel was a witness of our Lord to the kings during his time in the world. King Darius wrote, "I make a decree that in all the dominion of my kingdom men are to fear and tremble before the God of Daniel; For He is the living God and enduring forever, And His kingdom is one which will not be destroyed, And His dominion will be forever. He delivers and rescues and performs signs and wonders in heaven and on earth, who has also delivered Daniel from the power of the lions" Daniel 6: 26-27.

Only the sovereign God can deliver us.

Dear precious Lord and my savior, with the grace that only you can give, I seek your help, not to defile my body with things of the world. Having you, O Lord, giving me discernment to seek you in all my decisions to solve in my life. In everything I say and do giving you the Glory. May I be compelled to pray throughout the day giving you thanks in everything. When it seems the world wants to devour me, Lord, may I remain faithful, trusting and continuously serving you. I praise you my sovereign Lord. Blessed be your Holy name. Thank you.

Glory to God
Sandra Roman
Staff Member - WOC Graduate

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:10 As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

It's finally here!!! Crossing the Jordan: Living Victoriously in Difficult Relationships by Diane Hunt, MaryAnn Kiernan, DeEtta Marsh, Stephanie Paul and Betsy Shoppy (several of our Victory Call writers). Today's Victory Call is just a taste of what you will find in this Bible Study for women. Although it was originally written for wives of men in addiction it has already been a blessing to women from various circumstances and relationships: moms, siblings, daughters, wives, fiancees' etc. Most of the 14 chapters are applicable to any woman in any situation. To secure your own copy contact America's Keswick Guest Services 732.350.1187 $16.00. If you have any questions contact Diane Hunt at dhunt@americaskeswick.org.

No comments: