Tuesday, November 15, 2011

WHAT HAPPENED TO THANKSGIVING?

As I walk through the store aisles, I see all of the Halloween costumes on sale and the moms grabbing them up for next year. I can't help but wonder, What if your child doesn't grow during the year, or what if he REALLY grows. How do you know what size to buy? Since my "kids" are 52 and 50 and my grandkids are 24 down to 17, I guess that is not my problem. We never bought costumes. It was the wearer's responsibility to create his/her own costume.

As I continue to walk through the store aisles, I move into the Christmas section with all of the decorations. But wait a minute...What happened to Thanksgiving? Where did it go? I remember as a child that Thanksgiving evening it was our tradition to drive to the largest department store in our city and join the crowd to view the Christmas window. In fact, Christmas didn't begin until Thanksgiving evening. No decorations appeared until then.

Now, here I was in a store where Halloween ended and Christmas began...and it was only the end of October.

Why was this happening? It is only my personal opinion that it was easier to skip Thanksgiving than to acknowledge to whom people were expected to give thanks. Tradition tells us that the first Thanksgiving in America happened when the Pilgrims invited the Indians to enjoy a special meal together and give thanks to God for His wonderful provision and protection by sparing their lives and providing for them in America.

It is my personal opinion that the businesses and general population do not want to acknowledge God's blessings and provision by setting aside a day to give thanks to God.

But does the Christian have the option to decide to give thanks or not? Not according to Scripture. 1 Chron. 16:8 "Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people." So what does this verse mean? I think it means that we are to give thanks to God in public.

We start by letting others know that we are thankful to God. Have you made a list of the things for which you are thankful? If not, please begin now.

2 Cor. 9:15 "Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift."

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your "Yes" be "Yes," and your "No," "No," lest you fall into judgment.
~~James 5:12 (New King James Version)

And since you know that he cares, let your language show it. Don't add words like "I swear to God" to your own words. Don't show your impatience by concocting oaths to hurry up God. Just say yes or no. Just say what is true. That way, your language can't be used against you.
~~The Message

No comments: