Thursday, November 03, 2011

When I Am Stuck In Slow Motion

Do you remember the television series "The Six Million Dollar Man"? I recall the scenes where Steve Austin, played by Lee Majors, would be doing things at great speeds yet they were actually shown in slow motion - with sound effects added! I feel like that today. I feel like I am moving, getting things accomplished, moving forward but yet, at the same time, I feel like I am moving through molasses! How can some things seem to go so fast, yet I feel so stuck?

It has been 8 months since my sister-in-law went home to be with the Lord and 5 months since my mother-in-law also saw Jesus face to face. It seems like yesterday and years ago at the same time. How did time move forward so quickly? Other parts of my life and my own grieving process seem to be going so slow. I wish I could spell it but you know the sound effects that would play over Steve Austin's bionic moves? That sound is how life feels.

Recently, I read Psalm 94. What jumped out at me were verses 19 and 22.
"When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul. But the Lord has been my stronghold, And my God the rock of my refuge."

I know my anxious thoughts are adding to and even creating in me the mix of molasses that I am trying to walk through. I must seek after God's consolations. He alone is the source of my comfort. He alone can bring delight where there is sorrow. I also need to remember who my God is. I have wonderful memories of Denise and Mom. Many bring me comfort. However, real comfort and security in the thick of things is to remember the Lord's goodness and faithfulness.

I am praying that our anxious thoughts today will be stilled by the assurance of the Lord's comfort.

Blessings,
Kathy Withers

Kathy's on staff at America's KESWICK in the Development Department. Kathy has been married to her husband Dave for 25 years. They have two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church and has previously served as a Teaching Director for Community Bible Study. Her passion is to encourage women to deepen their walk with Jesus Christ by finding and living out the truths of God's Word.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:10 As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

No comments: