Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Mom Stuff

I'm a mom and, well, you know what that means. It means I say "mom stuff." For example, I'm fifty-two and my mom is still here with me. Today it's wet and rainy and windy and just plain yucky outside and while I was getting ready for work she called to ask me a question and to chat a bit. True to her "mommyness", she asked me if I had galoshes to put on as I go from building to building here at Keswick. After I got over the shock of hearing the reference to galoshes, I said, "Huh? What?" This of course opened the door for her to repeat her question and add some further "mom stuff."

Ya gotta love it though. As a mom of a now 25-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter, I find that, in spite of their ages I say all sorts of stuff to my kids that they now know as "mom stuff" - all the stuff I get to say just cuz I'm a mom and it needed to be said...well sorta. And then there are the times I say certain things just so I can sleep better at night.

If you're a mom and/or if you had a mom, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Here are a few examples of the sort of the things that I would classify as mom stuff:
* Don't take any wooden nickels. (a favorite of my Mom's.)
* Be sure and drive the speed limit or drive safely.
* Make sure you wear your seat belt.
* Be wise.
* Be careful not to trip.
* Make sure you wash your hands before you come to the table.
* Call me when you get there, just so I know you're okay.
* Make sure you drink plenty of water and take your vitamins.
* Clean up after yourself!
* Did you flush?
* Be careful crossing the street.
* Make sure you hold on tightly to your purse.
* Make sure you don't share anyone's comb or brush or lip balm.
* Don't go out with a wet head, you'll catch cold.
* Don't sit too close to the television; it'll ruin your eyes.
* Eat your vegetables, they're good for you.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

What I find so amazing and fascinating is our Heavenly Father, the Sovereign God of the universe, does the same thing with us. For no other reason than the fact that He loves us and has a plan for us:

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

He faithfully and consistently tells us stuff, and some of it He repeats to us over and over again. Why? Because He loves us!! Isn't that the reason we say all the wonderful mom stuff that our kids love to hate? We love them! We want them to have a future and a hope! We know the pitfalls life will put before them and some of us know what's in the pit because we fell into one or two in spite of our mom's best mom stuff. Oh how we want to spare them the pain that waits there for them if they don't heed our advice.

So, dear sisters, my encouragement to you today is don't stop loving your kids! Keep saying the mom stuff! Say the hard stuff! Say the real and necessary stuff they need to hear. Oh, and say it in a way that is the salt and the light of the Gospel that saved, keeps, sustains, carries and strengthens you.

Selah
Stephanie

Stephanie Paul, wife and mother of two grown children. An "instrument of change" in the Redeemer's Hand, in the lives of wounded and hurting women. Currently serving as a part of the Addiction Recovery Team at America's Keswick as Woman of Character Program Administrator.

DIGGING DEEPER
James 5:11
As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

It's finally here!!! Crossing the Jordan: Living Victoriously in Difficult Relationships by Diane Hunt, MaryAnn Kiernan, DeEtta Marsh, Stephanie Paul and Betsy Shoppy (several of our Victory Call writers). Today's Victory Call is just a taste of what you will find in this Bible Study for women. Although it was originally written for wives of men in addiction it has already been a blessing to women from various circumstances and relationships: moms, siblings, daughters, wives, fiancees' etc. Most of the 14 chapters are applicable to any woman in any situation. To secure your own copy contact America's Keswick Guest Services 732.350.1187 $16.00. If you have any questions contact Diane Hunt at dhunt@americaskeswick.org.

No comments: