Tuesday, October 11, 2005

HOPE

The word hope is most often used as a verb ~ �I hope today will be a nice day.� �We hope to go on vacation next week.� �I hope you are feeling better.� �We hope the weather will be good for the picnic.� But �hope� is also a noun. The dictionary definition is �a feeling that what is wanted will happen; desire accompanied by anticipation or expectation�.
Proverbs 13:12 states, �Hope deferred makes the heart sick�� Perhaps you have often experienced the hope that situations could and would change, the hope that circumstances in your life would be different, only to have that hope dashed and destroyed again and again. You can fill in the details of your experiences. For each one of us there have been different challenges and discouragements along the way. But the second part of that proverb is an encouragement to not give up, �but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.� That Hope brings joy to my heart and a smile to my face. God is faithful to bring about His purposes for my life!
As we look at Lamentations 3:25, 26, we read, �The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD�. He is the only one who has the ability to fulfill our deep longings. Why? The answer is in verses 22, 23, �Because of the LORD�S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.� We can claim verse 24 for ourselves, �I say to myself, �The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.�
May you experience God�s faithfulness today as you trust Him and wait upon Him, no matter what the circumstances are in your life. And may you move from �I hope� (v.), to �My hope (n.) is in the LORD�.
My challenge and encouragement to you today is to memorize Romans 15:13, �May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.�

djm

No comments: