Monday, October 17, 2005

What really matters.



I was recently reading for the third time, The Cross-Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney. It is a pocket sized book packed with life-changing truths. Itcan easily be read along with your devotions in just a few days. In chapter 6, I came across a few statements that fit right in with a
Victory Call from earlier this month. Mahaney writes, "...Our habits
reflect our true selves - we all build our daily lives around our priorities
and passions." And again, "We make time for what we truly value. We build
habits and routines around the things that really matter to us."
Perhaps you recall the devotional I wrote last week titled, "Cuz I Wanna".
The main point was: We do what we do because, at that moment, it is what we
really want to do.

For example, I have heard all kinds of excuses for not having time to read
the Bible regularly (or at all). I have even made a few excuses myself. But
you know I almost always have time to eat. I rarely miss a meal. I almost
always have time to check my email. Other women have complained of not
having enough time, but they rarely miss their favorite TV shows, or seem to
find time to talk on the phone. Are any of these things wrong? Absolutely
not. But each day we make choices as to what we are going to do with these
twenty-four hours. At the end of the day we have lived out what was most
important to us that day.
When I hear women tell me their priorities are God, family, work, and then
watch while they consistently fail to spend time in the word, rarely eat
together as a family and spend lots of time at work, I think the only one
they are fooling is themselves.
We live out our priorities (our real ones not the ones we say) through the
choices we make moment by moment every day.

How are you doing? Are you in need of a priority realignment? Does your
heart need some adjusting? If this devotional speaks to your heart, don't
beat yourself up, take action. Remember, you make moment by moment choices.
You can live out your spoken priorities today through your choices.

Diane

No comments: