Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Overcoming the Joybuster of Discontentment I


Luke 12:15, �And He said to them, �Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one�s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.��

One of the underlying problems women (and men) experience is discontentment. The old adage, �The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence� seems to play out daily in our homes, jobs, relationships and churches. I don�t think it is a desire for material things necessarily, although sometimes it is just that. I know of women who frequently complain about the size or condition of their home.
From my experience within the church and within the counseling office, the greater areas of discontentment with women are related to relationships, children who are not as obedient as we want, a boss that doesn�t appreciate our ability, a husband that isn�t as affectionate as we�d like, elderly parents that are becoming a �burden�, etc. According to the dictionary discontentment is �a sense of grievance: dissatisfaction; restless aspiration for improvement.�
Where does discontentment come from? Here are just a few thoughts � unmet longings (not having what we want); having what we don�t want (i.e. cancer); unmet expectations; our upbringing; our view of life; having the wrong focus; and change. I am sure there are other roots but this gives you and idea.
Ultimately, discontentment comes from our heart. It is having what we don�t want or wanting what we don�t have. It is a form of idolatry. Discontentment is taking a desire and elevating it to a need. For example, I would like to have cleaning lady every week, but I can�t. If I start to complain about how overworked I am, how messy the house looks, the lack of help, etc. I am communicating through my actions and attitudes that I NEED a cleaning lady every week to be happy or content. I know it is a silly example, but take the principle and apply it to your job, your home, your marriage, your children, your siblings, etc. The list can go on and on. We can make anything a need in our own minds. When that need goes unmet, we are discontent.

My challenge for you today is to ask the Lord if there are any areas of your life in which you are either experiencing or exhibiting discontentment.

Diane

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You have received this email either because you either subscribed via www.americaskeswick.org, or you filled out a subscription card at America's KESWICK to receive the daily Victory Call email.

You are subscribed to this list as ssutter.victorycall@blogger.com. If you do not want to continue your subscription, reply to victorycall-unsubscribe@lists.americaskeswick.org

No comments: