Monday, November 06, 2006

That was easy.....

That was easy.....
Most of the commercials on TV today are just as bad as the content of the programs they sponsor. But there are some I really enjoy and they make me laugh each time I see them. I really like the Staples commercials with the Easy Button. I'm sure most of you have seen them. All you have to do is press that Easy button and poof your needs are met! Well, now wouldn't it be nice to be able to have one of those?
As a counselor, bible teacher and mother there are many times when someone says that it's just too hard to hang in there, persevere, change, study and well, anything else that you can think of because the list is long. I know I've said it too, "Isn't there an easier way?"
There isn't one of us who hasn't gone through trials; it's just part of life. In John 16, Jesus is speaking with His disciples and they are finally beginning to understand His teachings. Jesus wants them to understand, as disciples, their lives will not be a rose garden. John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" Did you see the "will" have trouble? I'm sure you wish that that 3 letter word could be replaced with a 2 letter word "if". But the good news is, Jesus didn't leave His disciples hanging out there all on their own or for that matter, you and me either.
In that same verse He says that we need not sink into depression because trouble will come. Jesus tells us to take heart, rejoice, He already has the answer to our hardships and He promises that if we are in Him we will have peace even in the midst of trouble. I know that gives me great peace. I've had trials in the past and I know (because Jesus said so) there will be more in my future, but my Jesus is with me and He gives me His peace.
Well, I just had to buy one of those Easy Buttons. I've tried it. I press it and it says "that was easy". Well, it was "easy" to press the button, but none of my problems disappeared. And as I think about it.... it was easy for me to push the button, but for how many other countless people even pushing the Easy Button isn't easy because of arthritis, some other pain or even missing limbs?
Rev. 2:3 - You have persevered and endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.
Heb. 10:36 - You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will received what He has promised.
The Word calls us to endurance and perseverance in trials but also has a wonderful promise if we do.
James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.
What a promise!
I'm sticking with the way of the Lord. But if you think you might like to try that Easy button, feel free to stop by and press that Easy Button!
MaryAnn

No comments: