Monday, November 13, 2006

What are you thinking?

What are you thinking?

Penny for your thoughts....Just think....I have been thinking...did you ever think about...what are you thinking about...what were you thinking?

We have a lot of ways of expressing the word thinking. Today I found myself in the middle of a few situations. Home had some things I needed to attend to. At the present I am at work with many things needing attention and I also had a few things that needed to be addressed with family and church. Not that anything was wrong, there was just a lot going on and somehow it all needed to be worked out. I needed to think.

In one of my favorite videos, a young British boy says... "I need to have me a bit of a think". This phrase described my day.

The web dictionary (www.dictionary.com) says the following about the word "think", along with much more.

think1
1.
to have a conscious mind, to some extent of reasoning, remembering experiences, making rational decisions, etc.
2.
to employ one's mind rationally and objectively in evaluating or dealing with a given situation: Think carefully before you begin.




As I was having a bit of a think, I looked up and over my desk, and the following verses are in a picture frame and they helped me rethink how I needed to think.
Philippians 4:8-9 (New International Version)
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you".
Philippians 4:8-9 (Amplified Bible)
"For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
The dictionary can give us a definition but the Word of God gives us instruction. So the next time you stop to have a bit of a think...read over these verses.
These verses tell us to think on these things, fix our minds on them. What are we to think on or fix our minds on? Things that are truth, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. What is this describing? The Lord is true, right, pure and praiseworthy. If our mind is fixed on Him first the rest of our thoughts can be filled by Him.
When you need to just think about things, remember to think of Him first and then ask Him to direct your thoughts.
Lynn W

No comments: