Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Helping Those Who Grieve

I want to piggy-back on Stephanie's two Victory Calls from Monday and Tuesday of this week. I, too, have a growing list of friends and acquaintances that have lost their life mate in the past 18 months and several others that have lost a parent or other significant person in their life. And I, too, have not walked this path personally yet. But I think I'm on pretty safe ground to encourage us to pray for those in our life that are walking the pathway of grief.

If you are currently in a position of coming alongside one who grieves reach into that one's life and ask the question. "How may I specifically pray for you today?" If you are the one grieving, ask for specific prayer. Help us be most effective in our prayers on your behalf.
Let me go on to say, nights are tough. When sleep escapes you and darkness and solitude become your closest companions, pain, sorrow, loneliness, fear and a myriad of other, less than desirable, emotions intensify.

To the one grieving let me share this quote from H. Norman Wright:

"Reflecting on the Word of God at times when sleep is difficult can comfort you.
"If I'm sleepless at midnight, I spend the hours in grateful reflection. (Ps. 63:6 The Message)
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. (Ps. 94:19) Your mind is at work while you sleep. You probably wish it would shut down and rest so your body and emotions could rest. But it's working the night shift, processing the pain and loss in your life right now with memories both accurate and bizarre. You'd just like some relief. But someone else is well aware of your dreams. There is another who is working the night shift.

The psalmist described what occurs as you sleep, 'He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep' (121:3-4)" Experiencing Grief pg. 21-22

To the one coming alongside one that grieves, let me encourage you to use those wakeful moments at night to uphold your loved one in prayer before the throne of grace. Having trouble getting to sleep? Pray. Waking too early? Pray. Getting up to go to the bathroom? Pray. Sick child have you up? Pray. Thunderstorm awakens you? Pray. Then send a note or a card and let that person know they can count on your prayers even through the night watches.

Diane

No comments: