Friday, May 18, 2007

Sharing Our Trials With Others

"The Lord has given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary" Isaiah 50:4, NIV).

When we walk through a trial, I believe God expects us to share our experience with others so that they might have hope that they, too, could survive such an ordeal. I have realized that God not only gives us peace in the midst of our trial, but He also gives us credibility when we are willing to share our story with others. I never asked for the trial of three of my four sons dying, but with the trial has come a confidence that God will always give me strength to share when the opportunity presents itself.

On the rear window of our car is a decal that says "In memory of Nathan, Jimmy, and Ethan" for all the world to see. We have actually had people who parked next to us in a shopping mall sit in their cars and wait for us to come out so that they can ask us about the decal. They often ask, "Do you mean you have survived the deaths of three of your children?" And then they state, "I have a friend who lost a child, and she is not doing well. Do you have any suggestions of how I can help her?" By that time, Glen has reached into the back of the car and retrieved a copy of Roses In December to give to the inquirer. I generally say, "Read this book, and then give it to your friend. I know you will both find help and hope as you read this."

How about you? What trials has God walked you through? Are you prepared to share your story with other hurting people? Remember, God has promised to give you an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary.

Marilyn Heavilin

No comments: