Monday, May 21, 2007

A MASTERPIECE

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Have you ever visited art museums, admired great art in someone's home or perhaps you've only seen great works of art in art books and been struck by the beauty of the art and the great talent of the person whose brush stokes brought the canvas to "to life?" Each time I have the great privilege to be able to see great paintings or sculptures I'm just awe struck at the work of the artist's hands - artist's like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, or Raphael - just to name a few.

As talented these artists are, as beautiful as their work is, that is nothing compared to our God, the Master Artist of all of creation. I can just see in my minds eye The Master with His color palette (more colors and hues than any mere man can create), His brush, His canvas (the universe), along with His marble, stone, hammer and chisel. All we have to do is open our eyes, especially in springtime (my favorite time of year) and behold the beauty of His creation! And we, you and I, are His workmanship! In His vast universe He has designed and created each one of us - the same yet so very different. None of us are the same totally - not even identical twins.

However unlike the great works of art by men, the works of God - you and me - we were created with a purpose in mind that was in place before the beginning of time. Psalm 139:16 All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. When we come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior of our lives, there is purpose for our lives and something that God had in mind for us to do all along. And this is a very important part of His great masterpiece and that is to do "good works." We aren't just made to be new creations in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) to sit there and look pretty, we have something unique for each of us to do! I find that so exciting! God has it all planned out - all I have to do is follow His will for my life and that takes a huge burden from me.

So don't just sit there and look pretty, seek the will of the Master and do the "good works" He has planned for you!

Mary Ann

No comments: