Wednesday, June 20, 2007

More on Meditation

A Little Bit More on Meditation

One of the components of meditation that almost every woman I know struggles with is stillness. Most of us are so busy doing that sitting still can seem an almost insurmountable task. So today we're going to focus on the physical aspect of meditation.

In my ministry here at Keswick, stillness and quiet is something which is encouraged often. As women who are more like Martha than Mary, the suggestion to sit still and breathe is often met with a bit of resistance. "How can I take time to sit still, breathe and relax when I have so much that needs to be done?" I totally understand the question because I am what my Mom likes to call "a busy little bee" - or is a beaver?

Anyway, over the years my precious Mom has encouraged me to rest, relax and to just stop the busyness of my life long enough to regroup and refresh. So much so that she'll send me off on a retreat. A few years ago she provided for a weekend at a very nice hotel by the ocean. It was a packaged weekend titled, "Creative Escapes", and believe me I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt rested and calmed for the first time in quite awhile. In fact, I didn't know how stressed and tense I actually was until I relaxed. The difference I felt in my body was tangible.

If we were to start today, sowing the seeds of "quiet and stillness" into our own lives -in preparation to meditate- what would it look like? I recently read a magazine side-bar on the topic of meditation and the author, Nancy Christie offered the following for you to consider...

Come back tomorrow for the conclusion.

Until then, may the joy of the Lord be your strength. May you seek and find shelter under the shadow of His wing.

"When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. ~~ Psalms 63:6-7 NKJV

Stephanie

No comments: