Friday, January 25, 2008

A Contentious Woman

A contentious woman -- It has always bothered me to read the Scriptures about contentious women. In some ways, I believe it has described me in the past. Oh, I would never actually consider myself contentious but I considered it my responsibility to "point things out" to my dear husband. Oh, what he put up with! I am certain that he got the worse end of the deal when we married 23 years ago. Please do not write me and tell me I'm being too hard on myself, or that you are sure it wasn't that bad, etc. I'm just stating my perspective, after all I was there. I wasn't always contentious, but I did go through periods of being discontent, critical and contentious. So perhaps now you understand why those verses irritated me so. Plus, on top of that, the only verses I saw in the Scriptures seemed to connect contentiousness with women! That bugged me even more.Alas, I came across a verse today in my Bible reading time (with pen poised) -- Charcoal is to burning coals, and wood to fire, so is a contentious man to kindle strife. Proverbs 26:21 This made me curious about other verses about contentiousness. I found 5 others, 4 which apply to my current illustration.Proverbs 21:9 Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.Proverbs 21:19 Better to dwell in the wilderness, Than with a contentious and angry woman.Proverbs 25:24 It is better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.Proverbs 27:15 A continual dripping on a very rainy day And a contentious woman are alike; Of the 6 verses regarding contentious people, 4 of them refer to women, 1 to men and 1 to people in general. The definition of contentious is: "tending to argument or strife, quarrelsome; causing, involving or characterized by argument or controversy" (Webster's American Dictionary). There is something about the two words together, contentious woman, that causes a reaction similar to nails on a chalkboard, or teeth scraping on a fork. It in no way leaves the impression of a Christ-like woman. I am assuming since "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" that the fact that there are 4 verses describing contentious women that there is a propensity for women to be contentious. This is not a cut and dried statement. Not every woman is contentious, but I believe the Scripture indicates the propensity or temptation is there for women to be argumentative leaving a sour impression on those impacted by such contention. That is not who I want to be! How about you?
Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries of America's KESWICK, and under her leadership, birthed the ministry of Women of Character. She is available to speak for your women's ministry events. Contact Ruth Schmidt -- rschmidt@americaskeswick.org for details.

No comments: