Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Hug From Heaven

A hug from heaven

Earlier this year I wrote a devotional called "The Ministry of a Hug." There was a great response to it because I really do believe that hugs can be a ministry in a sense by being the comforting arms of the Lord...and we all need a hug from time to time. When someone is hurting, either emotionally or physically, a hug, a prayer and a kind word are priceless gifts.

I recently received my priceless gift when I needed it most and it come from a very small package. For the past two months my son Daniel, his wife Liza and our grandson Elijah (3 years old) have been living with us while their house grows along with their family (their second baby boy is due January 7th). I can't tell you what a joy it has been to have them with us...I haven't played so much in years!

I had been feeling sad and whatever...on this one particular day recently. Liza and Elijah were leaving for the day and so of course Baba had to have her hugs and kisses. After receiving them Elijah ran out the door waving bye-bye. He stopped...turned around and ran back to me, "I need to kiss you Baba" and I got a great big kiss! Off he went, only to run back once more, "I need to hug you Baba! I love you." If ever a hug came straight from the arms of the Lord, I believe this one did! Did the Lord prompt Elijah's little heart? I like to think so.

Would you or I be so quick and willing to respond to God's little nudge to give someone a hug? There wasn't a great "crisis" going on in my life, just a disquiet spirit. I wasn't crying or moping around...yet somehow this little one's spirit sensed his Baba "needed" a hug and a kiss.

Be the arms of Christ today...someone may just "need" a priceless gift that only you can give...a hug from heaven.

Proverbs 17:6 Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children. (NLT)

Mary Ann

Mary Ann serves in our Women's Addiction Recovery Ministry program and is a biblical counselor. Part of her ministry now includes overseeing the intakes for the Colony of Mercy.

No comments: