Friday, January 18, 2008

Cultivate the Heart

Cultivate the heart

As I sat a listened to Steve McVey last summer during our summer conference season, it was as if I was waking from a long winters nap. About 10 years ago, during a particularly difficult time in my life, I was counseled to grow in grace and my understanding of my identity in Jesus Christ. It hugely impacted my life and ministry. Over time, without active pursuit, these truths started to gradually leak out of my heart and mind until the point that they were nearly gone completely in any real practical sense.
As I listened to Dr. McVey, I sensed a growing excitement as I realized I knew this but had lost it and I wanted it back!! As I spoke to Steve after one of the sessions, tearfully sharing how hindered I felt to really soar in these truths, he very kindly looked at me and said, "Nurture your heart in grace".
Nurture: to supply with nourishment, to further the development of (Merriam-Webster Online 12 21 07).
As I have been considering that thought to "nurture your heart" it occurred to me that there is an intentional sense about our Christian walk. Another word that comes to mind is to cultivate. Just as we cultivate a garden we can cultivate God's truth in our hearts. We can plant seeds of truth (by reading the Scriptures); water the seeds (through Church attendance and participation); and fertilize the truth (with Christian fellowship and outreach). We can encourage growth and Biblical change in our lives by cultivating and nurturing God's truth in our lives. As He supplies the power through the infusion of His Holy Spirit, we grow and flourish in spite of the circumstances or barriers that may otherwise impede progress.
How are your actively nurturing your heart with Truth today?

Diane

No comments: