Friday, January 11, 2008

Hand-in-Hand

Hand-in-hand

Recently my husband and I were trying to make plans for our 23rd wedding anniversary. Money is tight so our usual weekend trip to a Bed and Breakfast was unlikely. We decided to go to New York overnight - that is until we found out how much that cost. So we decided to go to Philadelphia overnight with John's discount it appeared doable.

We arrived around 5 pm and wandered around the block a few times to try to figure out how to actually get to our hotel and park. It appeared as if they expected us to fold up our car and put it in our suitcase. We finally pulled up front where the valet parking appeared to solve the problem but to our surprise the men in the car in front of us, got out one at a time making angry, wild gestures at us until all three were scowling at us. We were befuddled as we hadn't even done anything - yet. Welcome to the city.
As we made our way to a parking lot and into the hotel we quickly settled in our room so we could get out and walk around the city.
John went to college in Philadelphia and knew his way around and had much he wanted to show me. I just stayed by his side, walking hand-in-hand allowing him to lead me wherever he chose. I was not fearful even though there were some unusual people and sightings. As I have gotten older and life has become more hectic, I have lost my intuitive ability to retrace me steps. Take me around a few corners and I forget how to get back. So left to my own devices I get lost easily.
We walked for several hours and honestly I had no idea where we were in relation to our hotel, but I was unconcerned because I had my husband with me, who knew exactly where we were, where we were going and how to get back.
I couldn't help but see the spiritual implications.
Why is it I was completely at rest knowing my husband had things well in hand, yet though I say I know my Heavenly husband has things well in Hand, I tug and pull and fret and worry about where He is taking me, how I will get there and how I will ever find my way back? Why do I find it difficult to rest knowing that He knows exactly where we are going and how to get there? It gave me pause.

We can rest in Jesus Christ. He will walk with us hand-in-hand leading and guiding us along the way.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.


Diane

No comments: