Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Staying Clean in a Dirty Place ...



Staying Clean in a Dirty Place....

I am sure that most of you have heard of the Staph Infections that has been going around our school systems. I received a letter last week stating that my youngest son's school had one case and that they were taking precautions.
My sister just called me and told me that her daughter is in first grade and they might have to pull her out for the language she is hearing, the fights and destruction of school property. Again we are only talking about first graders. She is now trying to take precautions.
I took my son apple picking and looking around there were all kinds of people there touching the buckets we were holding....the dirt from the pumpkin patch etc.... He went to eat an apple that he found on the ground, but I had to tell him stop, not to eat that one. We needed to take precautions to eat a clean one and wash our hands first.
I find myself wiping down the bar on the cart in the food store now because of the germs and the sticky stuff on the handle.
When I was a kid we never thought to wash our hands every half an hour, Mom did not carry around bottles of germicide or germicide wipes. We did not worry about germs and dirty things too much...the most was just... "don't sit on the toilet seat in the rest rooms".
Precautions for these things were not something we thought about like we do now.
Not only do we have the physical germs to be concerned with these days...but the dirty items that are worse than germs in magazines, books, movies and shows - many right in our kids classrooms. Dirt, germs and "bad stuff" is everywhere.
When I was a kid we were taught to put on the whole armor of God. I could recite to you what each piece was but never really understood what it all meant. Now being a mother of two and a bit older and wiser....that armor is the best thing we can give our selves each day.
It protects us from evil and gives us what we need for battle against the world and the dirt, germs or bad stuff in it.
Today don't forget to pray, read the Bible and put on the armor before you walk out your front door to serve Him in the battles that lie ahead of you. --Lynn Wilson
Lynn serves on the team at America's KESWICK in Guest Services. She is available to speak at women's events. Contact Ruth Schmidt for information (rschmidt@americaskeswick.org).

No comments: