Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fool's Day

April fool's Day

Ah, what fond memories I have a various practical jokes I have played and have seen played upon unsuspecting recipients over the years. Some people are certainly more easily duped than others.
Recently, as my family awaited the arrival of two sisters with newly adopted twins from Guatemala- we were all lined up along a row of seats in the airport reception area. A quick trip to the restroom was in order just minutes before the flight was scheduled to land. I made haste and returned quickly to a few chuckles which raised my curiosity. Mom told me my brother-in-law suggested they all move around the corner and hide so I would think they left me there. I laughed as I told him he had been around our family too long. He replied, "You would have done it in a heartbeat to us." I snickered, "Yup, in half-a-heartbeat." The thing is, along with the fun of playing jokes on others comes the reputation of being a jokester.
Years ago, my sister-in-law was absolutely certain that I was the one responsible for switching her hard-boiled eggs for raw ones. She ended up dying the raw eggs for Easter. What a great idea, but honestly, it wasn't my doing. Oddly enough, no one believed me.
It can be great fun to play appropriate jokes on friends and family especially on April Fools day. It's okay to have the reputation of being a jokester, but may it never be said that we are a fool. I'm sure we have all been guilty of doing foolish things, but we don't want to be classified, a fool: "a person lacking in judgment or prudence."1

Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.

Psalm 92:5-6 O LORD, how great are Your works! Your thoughts are very deep. A senseless man does not know, Nor does a fool understand this.
Proverbs 10:18 And whoever spreads slander is a fool.
Proverbs 10:23 To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom.
Proverbs 11:29 He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind, And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.
Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise.
Proverbs 13:16 Every prudent man acts with knowledge, But a fool lays open his folly.

When others look at you do they see a fool or a wise person: characterized by wisdom: marked by deep understanding, keen discernment, and a capacity for sound judgment?2

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK, Biblical Counselor, Conference and retreat speaker, Victory Call editor, wife, mother, grandmother, and nut and not necessarily in that order.

No comments: