Friday, April 25, 2008

Hearing... Listening ... Obeying (Part 1)

Hearing....Listening....Obeying (Part 1)

During the study, "Grace Walk Experience," Dr. Steve McVey taught that in our personal walk of grace with the Lord we need to stop "trying" to do everything in our own strength and begin "trusting" Christ to be our strength and to guide, direct, and lead us to experience His grace and peace evident daily in our lives. I have found that the constant "trying" becomes so very tiring and frustrating and, like gravity, just pulls me down! Since the Scripture tells us that as believers we have the "mind of Christ," we can live "trusting" the Holy Spirit to give us the thoughts to make life so much more calm and peaceful. But then there are those times when I hear the prompting from the Lord, but think I don't need to listen, and choose my way. When it doesn't turn out well, I'm reminded of my poor choice, my "willful sin," and must ask His forgiveness for hearing Him prompting me, but not really listening and obeying.

During the month of December, I experienced an incredibly peaceful month in the midst of all the busyness and preparations before Christmas as I allowed the Lord to direct my time moment by moment-the promptings to "do this first; leave that until later," just kept me peacefully trusting, listening, and obeying, prayerfully leaving the timing of the many enjoyable celebrations of remembering Christ's birth to His direction.

I am grateful to have experienced the joy and peace of trusting and obeying Jesus, the All-sufficient One, "El Shaddai," in a life-changing way during this past Christmas season making it memorably calm and blessed.

"I will hear what God the LORD will speak, for He will speak peace to His people and to His saints." Psalm 85:8 NKJV

"...In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15 NKJV

DeEtta Marsh is on the Women's Addiction Recovery Team and also serves with her husband, Stan, as Coordinator for Families for Christ and Host at the Keswick Campground

No comments: