Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Friendship II

Friendship II

"The four-year-old watched it all in silence.

One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, "What are you making?"
Just as sweetly, the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when I grow up." The four-year-old smiled and went back to work.

The words so struck the parents so that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done.

That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled."

Dear sisters, I received the above story in one of those forwarded emails that come and go, often unread because I simply don't have the time. However today, I took the time and after reading it thought I'd share it with you. This story happened to be one I'd read before and the impact was the same.

Clear as day I can see the person who might be this old man, sitting alone in the corner, feeling rejected, abandoned and unwanted...simply forgotten. It could be any one of us or any number of people we know -a friend, neighbor or loved one- who is in a loveless marriage or one who has simply allowed the hard knocks of life to draw them into isolation and lonliness.

Today the challenge is for us to be that one that sticks closer than a brother; to open our eyes and see the one who has been relegated to the "wooden bowl." Let's invite them to sit at our table and partake in the bread of friendship.

Trust me when I say, I know it's not easy. And, I know that sometimes extending a hand in friendship involves vulnerability and risk. Let's take the risk anyway and trust God to do the work in us and through us to touch a heart, a life, a soul in need of care. Let's remember, we are not alone.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
Luke 4:18-19

Stephanie Paul serves on the women's ministry team at America's KESWICK.

No comments: