Monday, April 28, 2008

Hearing ... Listening ... Obeying (Part 2)

Hearing....Listening....Obeying (Part 2)

Recently, while preparing to go to an early morning breakfast and long day of meetings, after laying out my clothes I headed from the bedroom to the kitchen for my tea and time with the Lord. At the door, I was stopped in my tracks hearing, "Get dressed first today."

"But Lord, I'm going to have my time with you." Going back I made sure my shoes were out and everything ready to get dressed quickly later and started to the kitchen again, but turned back to do a couple other things. After repeating this for the third time, not willing to obey, I kept questioning "why"?

Finally getting to the kitchen, I started my tea and said to Stan, "I didn't know what to do first, get dressed or come out to read." I had thought on my way, "if he tells me to get dressed first, then I will." No response. While my tea was brewing, I was still discussing this with the Lord asking, "Why"? Very clearly I heard the answer in my head and heart, "You always wanted your children to obey you without questioning. And you always wanted your kids in school to obey whatever you told them to do. If for no other reason than that, you obey Me."

So I covered my cup of tea, thinking it would be cold when I got back, and said to Stan, "I need to go and get dressed first." He replied, "That's what I would have told you, but you usually do the opposite of what I think, so I didn't say anything." "But I wanted you to say this time."

So obediently, trustingly, I went and got dressed first, and coming back 20-25 minutes later, I was amazed that my tea was still hot!! I went to my time with the Lord knowing all was well. That was God's grace and love poured out to my heart, as He taught me more about not only hearing, but listening and obeying!! (And not questioning the Whys of His ways.)

"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'" Isaiah 55:8, 9 NKJV

"A man's (or woman's) heart plans his (her) way, But the LORD directs his (her) steps." Proverbs 16:9

DeEtta Marsh is presently serving as Women's Ministry Assistant P/T, and with her husband, Stan, as Coordinators for Families For Christ ministry to Colony of Mercy residents and wives, and Colony Graduate Couples. Serving the Lord on Staff at America's KESWICK since summer, 1995. Wife, mother, teacher, grandmother of 8.

No comments: