Friday, April 18, 2008

Where Did the Joy Go?

Where did the joy go?

I had my day all planned. In the morning I was going to write; then, in the afternoon I would do some shopping and make some phone calls. I was feeling joyful. I had spent time with God early in the morning and I was set to face the day....the day I had planned.

However, before I could start writing, the doorbell rang. Company. They brought donuts. All we needed was some coffee. I fixed coffee. Then the doorbell rang again. More company! They knew my other guests and they began to chat, and chat, and chat. Suddenly it was lunch time. Let's all go out to lunch! What fun! By the time I got home, it was time to fix supper. No writing, no shopping, and I was depressed. My joy was gone.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever been living a day feeling joyful and content, but suddenly something disrupts your joy? Perhaps someone spoke a derogatory word or your plans were sidetracked. Something earthly happened but it seems to have robbed you of your joy. You are still a Christian. Christ still loves you. Your eternal destiny is settled. What changed? You didn't get your way. It is up to us to decide if this change in our plans is going to be a robber of our joy. When our emotions seem vulnerable to external circumstances, we can make the choice to keep our joy constant in the Lord.

1 Cor 15:58 "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

Marilyn Heavilin is a speaker and writer, and a friend to the ministry of America's KESWICK.

No comments: