Monday, April 21, 2008

The Best of TImes and the Worst of Times

The Best of Times and the Worst of Times

I recently had lunch with a dear friend. I looked forward to catching up on the kids, family and career. Mostly, we just love to find out what God is doing in each others lives.

I should have known that something was wrong. Her voice sounded strange when I called. I even asked her if she was okay but her reply was that she was fine. A few days later I sat across the table to find out everything was not fine. Her husband had been diagnosed with colon cancer, a dear friend was also very ill, among numerous other circumstances. Clearly her plate was overflowing! In time our conversation changed from topic to topic. We were crying one minute and laughing the next. We cried about the painful circumstances in our lives but we laughed at how amazing our Lord Jesus Christ is. At one point I said, "These are the worst of times and the best of times." Don't you find that to be true? We are all struggling. Some days we hope to just hang on moment by moment. Other days we feel God's presence so near and dear that we can't believe it! These days, even if our plate is overflowing, we need to see that our cup is overflowing in spite of it all!

You and I can not choose to always focus on the worst times. We also need to choose to look for the best of times. In the midst of it all we need to be a thankful people, remembering the goodness of God at ALL times. May I share with you a very familiar Psalm? Please read slowly, ponder long and take heart. David was living in the worst of times and the best of times... just like you and me.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For you are with me; Your rod and Your staff, They comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23 NKJV

Today, your cup is running over! Don't miss it because your plate is overflowing!

Kathy Withers is on staff full-time at the Keswick Book and Gift Shop. She is married to her husband, Dave, and has two adult children. Kathy is active in her local church. Her passion is the Word of God and encouraging women to dig deeper into the truths of the Bible.

No comments: