Saturday, November 22, 2008

He is Worthy (Part 3)

He Is Worthy! (Part 3; Exodus 34:6)

I am very thankful for Pastor John's willingness to write Freedom Fighter's this week while I am in Branson. I trust you have enjoyed his insights from the Word.

For the last two weekends, I've asked you to think with me about the theme "He Is Worthy!" For several months, I've been asking the Lord to teach me how to praise Him. I do praise Him when I pray and when I talk about His works, but I often think that my praise isn't as strong or full as it should be since He is worthy of the best I can offer.

During November our church has considered how worthy God is of all we have. The month culminates with a special offering we pray will declare that "He Is Worthy!" I've experienced a side benefit to that emphasis.

My praying-especially the praise part-has experienced freshness. He's answered my prayer! Now my praise reflects what I've learned (again) about all the ways that He is God. He is worthy of my praise because He is God. He's also worthy of my praise because He's good.

Think with me this morning about another way He is worthy. He is worthy because He is gracious. God said it best in Exodus 34:6. "And the Lord passed before him and proclaimed, 'The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth . . . .'"

Graciousness is best defined as God inclining His ear toward us and addressing our needs. You'll often see God's graciousness and mercy linked, especially in the Old Testament. His graciousness allows Him to give us what we DON'T deserve. His mercy allows Him to refrain from giving us what we DO deserve.

Take a walk through the Psalms and count how many times we're told that God is gracious. Consider His work in the lives of the children of Israel. Think about how often His graciousness brought blessing. Don't forget God's graciousness to us and the world in sending His Son, Jesus, to become our sin-bearer. As I reflected on God's graciousness in my life, I discovered even more reasons to praise Him. From childhood to my sixties, I see a life loaded with evidence of God's gracious care and attention.

Several men from the Colony of Mercy attend the church I have the privilege of serving. They each see that cord of graciousness in their lives. They know what could have been. Mercy prevented that from happening. They know how God is at work in their lives. God's graciousness is evident!

How should God's graciousness impact our lives? Let me give you three words and three scriptures to go with them. Take time to look up the scriptures as you consider the three words. The first word is RELATIONSHIP, and the scripture is Psalm 116:1&2. The second word is REST, and the scripture is Psalm 116:5-7. The third word is WORSHIP, and the scripture is Psalm 116:12-19. Revel in God's graciousness toward you this week!

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 22; Ezekiel 18-19; James 4

Think About This: When my body is pained, it is not wrong to wish for relief. When overtaken by sickness, it is not wrong to send for the physician. You may call this selfishness, which He who made us what we are, and who gave us these instincts, expects us to act upon; and in acting on which, we may count upon his blessing, not his rebuke. It is not wrong to dread hell, to desire heaven, to flee from torments, to long for blessedness, to shun condemnation, and to desire pardon. -- Horatius Bonar

No comments: