Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Put Them Down ...

Put them down...

Today I am weary. Is there a solution for weariness? The Lord says, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."(Matthew 11:28) How do we come onto Him? I see myself dragging my burdens with me to the cross. Here I come. I take one step and then I drag my bag of burdens. I take another step and drag my bag of burdens. It takes a long time to get to the cross, but I finally make it. There I stand, looking up at the cross, clutching my burdens tightly.
The Lord said to me, "Put your burdens down so that you can rest."
"But Lord, I have really important things in my bag."
"Show me what they are."
"Well, here is my worry box. You know how I worry, Lord. I'm a really good worrier. What would I do without my worries?"
"Put them down."
"But, Lord."
"Put them down."
"Yes, Lord"
"What else do you have in your bag?"
"Well, I have a list of the people who have hurt me. It's quite a long list, Lord."
"Put it down."

When we stand at the cross, in front of the Lord Jesus, it's pretty hard to hang on to our bag of burdens and be justified in doing so.

I don't know how God will resolve my worries or bind up my hurts, but I do know I can trust Him. Some days it is easier to trust than it is today, but His word is always trustworthy.

"Trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass" (Psalm 37:5) As my mother often said, "It didn't come to stay; it came to pass."

Marilyn Heavilin is a speaker, author, and friend of America's KESWICK. And today is her birthday. Drop her an email at roses1ndec@aol.com and let her know that you are a regular subscriber to Victory Call.

No comments: