Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Have Been Crucified With Christ

I have been crucified with Christ.

In preparing a Higher Ground lesson recently, I was reminded again of the truth that I am dead. It occurred to me that most people I know, most Christians I know live as if they don't believe they are dead and I include myself in that group. J. Penn-Lewis said, "If the difference between 'Christ dying for us, ' and 'our dying with Him, ' has not been recognized, acknowledged , and applied, it may safely be affirmed that the self is still the dominating factor in the life" (Memoir, p. 26).i

Notice Penn-Lewis did not simply say recognized and acknowledged but also applied. The application of truth to our lives makes the difference between mediocrity and Victory. I think most Christians live as if Christ is on the cross and they are on the throne. Christ on the cross, where He is dead and powerless. They are on the throne alive, in power and ruling their own life. Rather, we should live as if we are on the cross powerless, dead to self and flesh and Christ is on the throne all-powerful, the resurrected King of our life. "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

May I invite you to join our Higher Ground group with their assignment? For one week, frequently remind yourself "not I, but Christ". In the ordinary things of your day, remind yourself, "not I, but Christ". When a difficulty comes and your flesh response is unChristlike, remind yourself, "not I, but Christ". Each night, write down what happened. How did you respond differently because you remembered you were dead? Feel free to email me your stories. I'd love to hear from you. Dianedhunt@americaskeswick.org

If you live in our neighborhood, why not join us at America's Keswick for Higher Ground, Monday nights, 7-8:30 pm. We are currently working through The Complete Green Letters by Miles Stanford. i Quoted in The Green Letters, Miles Stanford, pg. 33-34

No comments: