Monday, November 03, 2008

Grumbling

Grumbling...

This time of year always brings out the grumbling in us even in good economic times. As Election Day draws closer the grumbling gets louder and louder. It really doesn't matter what side of the political fence you hang out on or who you are supporting for president. Each side claims disaster if the other is elected. Should we as believers fall prey to all the noise out there? Should we just cover our ears? Should we cover our eyes and ignore it all? Perhaps we just want to give up?
For a time this past election season I began to listen to the grumbling and even join in. I was allowing fear of the future take over my thoughts. Some of you may be in that place right now. I said I was in that state of mind. But then I remembered that God is in control. He is sovereign even over our next president whoever he might be. I don't think God is in heaven wringing His hands wondering what will happen next.
I decided to trust God. No matter which candidate will bear the title "President of the United States" I know that my God still reigns....even over our president! One thing is for certain, each of us who are blessed to be a citizen of the United States, have the great honor and privledge to go out and vote. Please don't take this privilege lightly. My parents were born in tsarist Russia in the early 1900's and then lived under communism until 1943, they took there American citizenship very seriously.
Don't just go out and vote on November 4th, first we all need to be on our knees seeking Gods direction, praying for our next president (whoever he might be), praying for our government and praying for revival in the hearts of men and women all across our nation. We all need to put our hope in Him not in our next president.

2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Psalm 33:18-22
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine. We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

Mary Ann Kiernan and John have been married for 35 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of two grandsons. She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

Check out this Election 2008 Prayer from Dr. John Nieder:
http://www.americaskeswick.org/conf/documents/ElectionDay2008Prayer.pdf

No comments: