Friday, October 31, 2008

It's The Little Things

It's the Little Things

A moment ago I read the blog entry of a father who recently lost his almost 2 year old daughter due to heart problems. In his blog, he shared the following:

"Today I was cleaning out the diaper pail to use when Julie, Garrett, Emma and Ethan come on Sat. I had set it outside and forgot that there were a few diapers in there. So needless to say it was very smelly and full of rain water. As I was dumping out the water I realized that those were the last 3 diapers I changed at home. That sure made me sad and long more for Lindsay. You forget what it's like to change diapers everyday but I sure miss doing it everyday."1

I instantly related to his words. There have been a few opportunites in my life to experience seasons of suffering. During each period, waiting, watching, praying and hoping were the constant norm.

Like Jonathan, hours, days and weeks were spent watching a loved one being cared for by others and what was most longed for was to just scoop that loved one up and go home to normal everyday life, life without needles and tubes and the constant hum of machines.

I remember well the feeling of satisfaction that came from returning to the simple and the mundane chores of life. I thoroughly relished the little things that I felt blessed and privileged to be doing for my family, and most especially for the one who had been so gravely ill. It was, oh, so much better than sitting idly beside a hospital bed feeling insecure, useless and helpless.

There are so many, many things that we can, and do, so casually complain about in the course of a day, when in fact we do have so much for which to be thankful. Father God is "up close and personal" in the details, all the little things in our life...at least He wants to be. Let's thank Him today for all of it! The never-ending laundry, the dishes, the runny noses, the lunches that have to be made, etc...

In fact, why don't we slow down a bit and simply enjoy those little things, those simple little pleasures in our lives that too often we miss when they are gone. Give your love, your time, your attention and, of course, your hugs to the ones you say you love. Why? Why not? God is there for us all the time. He listens to us and He gives us what we need when we need it in ways too numerous to count. Read Psalm 139.

Stephanie Paul is Director of Women's Addiction Recovery Ministries
1 Lindsay blog posted by Jonathan Groen July 3rd at 2:29pm

No comments: