Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Escape Hatch

The Escape Hatch...

If you're a VC "groupie" you know a little bit about each of us. Part of my past includes a divorce and one, now teenage, son. It's been eight years. Actually it's been one day less than I've been saved. But that's another Victory Call. Between then and now there's been ...well...life.

Yes, life, with its ups and downs. Along the way I've had the blessing of coming alongside a number of women who "happen" to be struggling in their marriages. Most of them are really seeking help. But it's not always in the area I thought it might be. For instance, they could ask; "What should they do to avoid a potential divorce?" "What, in hindsight, would I have done differently to help my marriage?" "Was it difficult going through the process of a divorce?"

Most of the time those are not the questions. First, what they see visually is someone who seems to be, at least on the outside, doing well after divorce. They ask how my child is doing and how his father and I work out visitation, holidays etc... They ask where I live and how I like my work. But mostly what they see is someone who seems to be quite happy. Perhaps even "happily divorced," as opposed to "unhappily married." They see potential. "She can do this, maybe so can I. She's alright and my kids and I can be alright too." They believe they see hope. What I often find they're seeking is "the escape hatch." A way out.

What some have seen in me is actually the grace, strength, forgiveness and mercy of God even though there has been a divorce. I don't know your specific circumstances; I can only share what I have experienced. I make no assumptions that others have had the same experience, but perhaps some can relate. The great news is, whatever your situation, no matter how desperate, the power of Jesus Christ Himself is available to you. My dear sister, I have no magic wand to make things better, for that type of thing is pure fantasy. What I do have is a real, living, all powerful God who has amazed me with His provision, faithfulness, counsel and most of all His love, even on this very day!

Regardless of the actions of another, you must stand firm in Christ, so grounded in Him that whether your spouse stands or falls, you may stand! Set your face like a flint knowing that though your strength may fail you, it is a supernatural power you are leaning on not your own. This is a place to start.

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

Dina Seaton serves on staff in marketing and also as a staff writer and speaker. She is the mother of one son, John, who is 13 years old. Dina is currently working on completing her first book, "Do It Again LORD...Do It Again!" A collection of interviews that will excite your faith... email the author at dseaton@americaskeswick.org

No comments: