Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Older and Wiser

Older and Wiser

What have you learned now that you are older and wiser that you were clueless about as a young adult? Remember being young and having the audacity to think you had it all together and you were doing everything right...blah, blah, blah...

I remember only too well how prideful I was and how self-righteously I behaved. I cringe as I recall all the ways I thought I had it together, especially at the expense of a brother or sister in Christ and/or my own family. I honestly did not know then that I was being that way. I thought I was behaving like a good Christian was supposed to. After all, I had Jesus, the answer to all of life's problems and adverse situations.

It's only as I have grown up and matured that I have come to realize that I know "nuthin' 'bout nuthin'." Oh my goodness!!! The stuff I would do and say different is plentiful to say the least.

One of the most liberating things that I know now, that I didn't know then, is that sanctification is a process, NOT AN EVENT!

Another thing is we are all just simple people. Just people and we're all in this together. None of us - especially me - has arrived at such a place of perfection or "having it all together" that it is ever appropriate to be critical and judgmental of another, to disparage another.

Praise God for the wisdom, knowledge and understanding that can, and will, often come with age...if we are seeking Him, His will, His guidance and His direction for our lives.

Let's purpose today to be guided by the mind and heart of God and determine to lay aside "stinkin' thinkin'" and the foolish deeds of our flesh AND let's begin at the foot of the Cross.

Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. ~~2 Corinthians 3:17-181

Stephanie Paul is Director of Women's Addiction Recovery Ministries at America's KESWICK

1 www.biblegateway.com

No comments: