Monday, October 20, 2008

The Lord Controls Everything

The Lord Controls Everything

The following devotional was written by my son who is in the 8th grade and preparing for his school's retreat right here at KESWICK. He has given me permission to share it. I was blessed, encouraged and most of all thankful! Take heart, you moms out there; the Lord truly does control everything, including the salvation and spiritual growth of the children He's given us.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

When Mrs. Huber (my Bible teacher) said we had to do devotions I was dreading it, but within five minutes of finding out, the Lord put into my heart a devotion that came to me when I saw a poster up on the wall that says: "The Lord Controls Everything." The Lord definitely controls everything, but He also gave us the freedom of choice. Psalm 37:5 says "Commit your way to the Lord." Now, what does that mean? It doesn't mean that you just say the prayer to become a believer and whenever asked say, "Yes, I believe in Jesus, I go to church and I read my Bible" and then go on with your life like nothing happened. I once saw something that said "Going to church makes you a Christian just as much as standing in a garage makes you a car." Ask yourself this, would you rather use your choice to live your life the way you want, have fun on earth, do whatever you want and then realize when you die that you'll be in hell or would you rather live your life for the Lord well on earth and commit your way to the Lord and go to Heaven and have more fun and happiness then even imaginable on earth? While you're on the Keswick retreat think about whether or not you are really a Christian. Next time you pick up your Bible read Psalm 37.
Let's pray: Lord I just ask that you would lay it on everyone's heart to ask themselves, am I living for You or for me. As we go on the Keswick retreat tomorrow, Lord, keep us safe and help everyone in the middle school grow spiritually in you, Lord. In your Holy name I pray, amen.
by John Seaton
September 6, 2008

Dina Seaton serves on staff in marketing and also as a staff writer and speaker. She is the mother of one son, John, who is 13 years old. Dina is currently working on completing her first book, "Do It Again, LORD...Do It Again!" A collection of interviews that will excite your faith... email the author at dseaton@americaskeswick.org

No comments: