Thursday, October 23, 2008

One of the benefits ....

One of the benefits of reading through the Bible each year is that I have exposed myself to the truth. I wish I could say I have memorized much scripture, but that is not true. I am terrible at memorization. However, I have become familiar enough with the truth that I know when what I am hearing is not scriptural truth.

I am told the way bank tellers are taught to recognize counterfeit money is by becoming very familiar with the real thing. We need to do the same. We need to become so familiar with God's Word that our spiritual antennae goes up when we are confronted with the counterfeit.

In Job 34:3, we read "For the ear tests words as the tongue tastes food." When we are offered strange food, we touch the food to our tongue and check it out before we take a whole mouthful and swallow it. We should do the same with words; our ear needs to check out the words. Are they true? How do they measure up with God's word, the truth we already know? If they check out, we can allow the words to enter our minds as truth.

This week, let's monitor the words and thoughts we allow our ears to accept.

Marilyn Heavilin is an author, speaker, and friend of America's KESWICK

No comments: