Monday, August 02, 2010

Digging Deeper

Psalm 103: 11-14

This week, we continue in Psalm 103, by the time we are done we will have considered/memorized the entire Psalm.

My husband was commenting the other night as I shared my verse with him how UN-poetic I am. He is very poetic. He loves poetry and on occasion writes beautiful poetry. I, on the other hand, have always struggled with poetry. Not to make fun, but in my mind there are simpler, clearer ways to say things. I don't believe it is sin on my part, but rather more the way I'm wired. All that to say, memorizing Psalms, which are poetic in nature, has really stretched me. Poor Allen, Bill and Jim as they listen to me share my verses. I may have the words right but I know it does not sound like piety coming out of my mouth. Are you like me? Press on. Don't give up. There is ALWAYS value to memorizing the WORD of GOD. Press on sister. Ask the Lord to help you "get it." I have to.

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
13 As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.


Commentary:
"Where is poetry found in the OT? ...songs and prayers of praise and lament most naturally cluster in the book of Psalms, although they can be found elsewhere in the OT as well." 1

Psalm 103:11-14 "These are three comparisons for the kindness of God toward his people, to show its abundance...decisiveness...and enduring quality... God is father to his people as a whole ...and to the particular faithful members. .." "He knows our frame. As the ESV footnote explains, this could also be 'he knows how we are formed,' which, together with we are dust looks back to Gen. 2:7. The Lord remembers the finiteness of the human perspective ("dust" is not eternal or omniscient), and he is patient with his people." 2

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries and Acting Director of Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 2+ grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

1 ESV Study Bible "Poetic and Wisdom Literature" pg. 866
2 ESV Study Bible Study notes - pg. 1068

Join us for VICTORY WEEK #2. Drs. David Epstein and Roger Willmore will be sharing the WORD at America's KESWICK. If you can't drive in for a meeting, you can watch the morning and evening services right from our website: www.americaskeswick.org beginning at 9:30 am and 7:00 pm.

No comments: