Tuesday, August 31, 2010

IS YOUR IMAGINATION WORKING OVERTIME?

Our son, Matt, has often said, "Our family can go into Grief Mode at the drop of a hat." Unfortunately, he is right. If the phone rings at an unexpected hour, my first thought is "Someone died." Before I answer the phone, I can be planning a funeral. If one of our children is not home by the expected hour, I immediately start imagining they are in trouble. If someone states that they need to talk to me, I immediately imagine I am in trouble. I spend the ensuing time thinking, "What did I do wrong?"

A verse that I often quote is Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusts in You." Recently as I was reading My Utmost for His Highest, Chambers presents a different view of this verse for me: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose imagination is stayed on Thee" (Isaiah 26:3, R.V. margin). As I studied the commentaries and research books, I learned that many times, especially in the Old Testament, the words mind and imagination are considered to be interchangeable. The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R. A. Torrey states that the usage of mind can be interchanged with thought or imagination. So now the Lord wants me to give Him my imagination as well as my mind? How do I do that? When the phone rings, I must give my imagination over to Jesus. No more planning quickly how I will deal with the bad news that is possibly waiting for me as I answer the phone. I am learning to thank God for whatever news might be waiting for me. I can count on Him to walk with me all of the way through the situation. My mother often said, "Remember, it came to pass; it didn't come to stay!" Turn your imagination over to Him. Ask God to step into your imaginations with you. Don't let your imagination control you.

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months.

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 128:1-2
1 Blessed is everyone who fears the LORD,
who walks in his ways!
2You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.

No comments: