Tuesday, November 09, 2010

AND THE WALLS CAME TUMBLING DOWN

I sat mesmerized as I watched that gorgeous old historic school building crumble in the jaws of the demolition excavator. That machine opened its jaws and took a huge bite out of the building. I could almost see it gulp, chew and then spew the remains onto the ground. Then it was ready for the next huge bite. I was in shock. How could it not be a mistake to demolish that wonderful old building? Then that building-eating monster headed toward the landmark tower. NOT THE TOWER!!! I gasped in horror as that monster of a machine tugged at the tower. The tower groaned some, then tumbled to the ground. The monster machine was not content just to pull the tower off its moorings, but once the tower was on the ground, that awful machine pounded on the tower until it succumbed to the pounding and broke into many smaller pieces. THE TOWER WAS GONE! Oh, oh, oh, I was devastated. How could that happen to such a beautiful old building that looked so steady and firm? The building needed to be made "earthquake safe," and it was actually cheaper to tear the structure down and start over. The city felt that building's structure would not withstand a strong earthquake. But it looked so good on the outside!

Have you ever felt that way, personally? I have. First, I have felt that way about others. They looked so solid, firm and predictable, but they fell, and they fell hard.

I have felt that way about me. I thought I was so strong, steady, and predictable, but I stumbled, and then I fell...flat on my face. What happened?

Well, I don't have the answer for anyone but myself, but I can tell you that I thought I had my reputation and my success all wrapped up. I was a tower of predictability, of success. I had great faith in me! But the Bible says I need to place my faith in Jesus. My facade may look really strong, but when the earthquakes of life came, I rattled, I shook, and I fell. We must make sure that our faith is placed in Jesus, not in us!

How do we do that? First, we make sure that we know Christ personally. Do you know for sure that He is your personal Savior? If not, stop right now and invite Him into your life to be your Lord and Savior forever.

Second, we get to know what God's Word says. We read His Word faithfully. By studying His Word, we get to know God better, too. We pray to Him and talk with Him.

Thirdly, we follow His directions. We become followers of Him. We show we are Christ followers by our daily behavior.

Then we become strong. Our life isn't a facade; we are solid through and through. We are ready for the "earthquakes of life."

Mat 7:24-27 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn Heavilin
author of Roses In December, December's Song, Becoming A Woman of Honor, When Your Dreams Die, Grief Is A Family Affair, I'm Listening, Lord

DIGGING DEEPER
Matthew 5:
1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: