Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Compelled...

This is a very strong and interesting word. Somehow I have overlooked the impact of it before, but this past weekend at a women's conference, it sort of hit me right between the eyes. Have you ever been "compelled" to do something? Have you ever known someone who was "compelled" to do or say something?

The online dictionary definition for compel:i
1. To force, drive, or constrain.
2. To necessitate or pressure by force; exact.
3. To exert a strong, irresistible force on; sway.

From the definition, it seems evident, that if someone is compelled, it is beyond their control to constrain themselves. In 1 Corinthians 9:16 the Apostle Paul says, "...for I am compelled to preach."

Also in Acts 20:22 Paul says this:
"And now I am compelled by the Spirit. I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there."

Paul could not help himself or constrain himself. He had to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles and eventually he had to, was compelled to, go to Jerusalem no matter what happened to him. It was the Holy Spirit that placed this passion, this compulsion, to preach the Gospel.

I had a chance to speak one on one with the speaker in regard to this verse. I realized that the Lord has "compelled" me do what I do at the Colony of Mercy. I have a great passion to bring hope to those who feel hopeless. And especially those who have been deeply impacted by addiction, whether it is the addict himself or those that love him. The past several months have not been easy with disappointments and sorrows. The Intake Office has been very busy. I have gone home exhausted both mentally and spiritually. But each morning when I open my eyes, I have joy in my heart for the day ahead. I walk through the Colony doorway with a smile on my face. I must admit there are times when joy and strength are gone by 4:00 p.m. Then I have to seek the Lord and ask for a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit so that I can do what is on God's "to do" list for the day.

The speaker shared with me that she is also compelled to teach truths from the Word of God that are sometimes hard for others to accept. She gets great opposition yet she is compelled to put any fears aside and teach the Truth. There were those that were not happy with her this past weekend, but her challenge was for us to search the Scriptures ourselves and not take her word for it.

When the Holy Spirit compels you to do what God has called you to do there is nothing else to do but be obedient and follow the Spirit's leading. God promises that His grace is sufficient to accomplish the task because we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.
This is true for the speaker of the women's weekend. This is true for me.

This is also true for you.

MaryAnn

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 37 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of three grandsons and one granddaughter! She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

i http://www.thefreedictionary.com/compel, retrieved 10/20/10

DIGGING DEEPER
Matthew 5:
10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness´ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

No comments: