Tuesday, November 30, 2010

FEAR (Part 1)

Recently, I have found myself dealing with that stronghold of fear again. Without warning, it will creep back up and before I know it, anxious thoughts are buzzing around in my head. Can you relate? But, praise be to God, He is patient with me and continually speaks to me to teach me to trust Him more.

Back in August, I began reading through the Bible chronologically. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to get too much out of the book of Numbers. But, as 2 Timothy 4:16 says, "ALL Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (NIV) A couple weeks ago, I was reading the passage for the day, which included Numbers 14. The 12 spies had just returned from scoping out the Promised Land and 10 of them brought a bad report. The negative attitude spreads like wildfire and before you know it, the people begin to grumble and complain and want to go back to Egypt. (Did they forget that they were slaves there?) "Losing their perspective, the people were caught up in the emotion of the moment, forgetting what they knew about God's character." 1 Spiritual amnesia. Fear makes us forget. I forget what I know about God and I forget all that He has done for me and around me. I become fixated on my fear and lose perspective of the big picture.

The Lord responds to the people's grumbling in verse 11: "How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them?" I don't want God to say that about me. I'm sure you don't either. God did so very much for the Israelites, and He's done so much for me. I, too, have witnessed miracles! Why do I at times act as if I want to go back to Egypt (slavery), instead of on to the Promised Land (of His rest)? I believe it often comes down to one word - UNBELIEF. I would like to look more at the subject of unbelief tomorrow.

In the meantime, may our prayer be, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24 (NIV) As we learn to believe Him more and more, fear will give way to His perfect peace "which transcends all understanding, and will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:7 (NIV)

Stacey Poplawski
WOC Graduate

1 Life Application Bible - NIV by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (c)1991

DIGGING DEEPER
Matthew 6
30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

No comments: