Wednesday, December 01, 2010

UNBELIEF (Part 2)

The Lord has really been teaching me much when it comes to the warning against unbelief and the consequences it can bring. In my quiet time the other day I was reading Hebrews 3:7-19. In my Bible (and maybe in yours), the section is actually entitled "Warning Against Unbelief." Verse 19 says, "So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief." (NIV-emphasis mine) Where were they not able to enter? It is referring back to what we were reading yesterday - that generation of Israelites did not enter the Promised Land where the Lord would bring them rest, but rather wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.

I KNOW my unbelief definitely leads to lack of rest and peace. If I truly believe in God's sovereignty and that He is aware and in control of everything that happens, then I can rest in Him. As Ephesians 1:11 says, He "works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will." (NIV-emphasis mine)

When things are tough, will I keep His commands or will I buckle under pressure and revert back to my fleshly way of doing things? "Unbelief is the root of many sins and problems. When you feel lost, it may be because you're looking everywhere but to God for your help and guidance." 1

Where do you look when you are under pressure, when you feel lost? How many times do I look to other people, other things, even to myself, thinking that God is either unaware of or just not handling things in the way, or as quickly, as I think He should. Of course, I say that I believe God is in control, but do I really believe it? Does my theology match my reality?

May we not be like the Israelites who wandered 40 years in the wilderness because of their fear and unbelief, but rather "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5&6 (NIV)

Lord, please help us to believe You, and to keep on believing You, even when times are tough, so that we may enter Your rest, AND so we may experience Your incomparably great power in our lives - that power that is only available to us who BELIEVE (Eph. 1:19).

Stacey Poplawski
WOC Graduate

1 Life Application Bible - NIV by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (c)1991

DIGGING DEEPER
Matthew 6
31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'
32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

No comments: