Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thankfulness

A seed that was planted deep in my heart when I asked Jesus to be my Savior had appeared to stop growing. I looked in my heart to see where the problem was lying. It was there that I found the things of this world were taking root. There was despair, anger, love of money, distrust, overeating.

I thought to myself, "how am I to grow if I have allowed these things to take root in my heart?" I looked around to find help and saw the Word of God. I started to read every day the Word of God and was gaining knowledge, but that was not enough to remove the deep roots that were causing me to slide downwards. No, I had to move the roots and dig out the issues. I started to pray and seek God's way instead of my own together with daily use of God's Word.

Over time, I saw the roots being dug up out of my heart and in its place fruit began to grow. I often remember the song "the blessings will come down as the prayers go up." This was true, I found myself thanking God for my family, hard situations, children, job, food. It was there that I saw the fruit of the Spirit come alive with love, joy, peace, gentleness, kindness, goodness.

I trust this will help you in your walk to allow the things of God to take root with thankfulness. Thankfulness flows out of a heart that is rooted in Christ.

"An evidence that our will has been broken is that we begin to thank God for that which once seemed so bitter, knowing that His will is good and that, in His time and in His way, He is able to make the most bitter waters sweet." Nancy Leigh DeMoss, A Place of Quiet Rest.

Patsy Foley
WOC Graduate

DIGGING DEEPER
John 1:
6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.

No comments: