Friday, December 31, 2010

He's just like me...

Have you considered your year-end giving options? If Victory Call has encouraged you, would you please encourage us with a year-end gift for the ministry of addiction recovery. You can donate online (www.americaskeswick.org) or call 800-453-7942. Thanks for your consideration.

Recently, spending some time with my sister and her 6 children, I witnessed some of the difficulties she has daily with a particularly bright but strong-willed son. He just turned 11 and is the second oldest with 4 younger siblings (2 sets of twins). He wishes he was an only child.

To give you a glimpse of what I'm talking about let me share my observation. My nephew can be a delight. He's smart, observant, and his smile can light up a room-when things are going in his favor. But, when things are not going as he would like- he's still smart, he's still observant but his scowl and angry, hurtful words bring a dark cloud over a room.

When he's asked to do something he doesn't want to do, he resists, argues and his behavior progressively becomes angrier as he doesn't get his way.

In a sense, he's rebelling against my sister's authority in his life. He wants his own way and will fight tooth and nail to try to get it.

I share all that because in observing that in my nephew, God clearly showed me my own heart. Oh, sure I've got 40 years on him, and I've matured along the way so my heart of rebellion is not so blatant - to people, but to God - He sees even what others don't. In fact, I believe every one of us is very much like my nephew every time we chose sin. Am I right? When we chose our own way over God's aren't we in action, doing what my nephew is doing in words?

Aren't we "saying" to God - "you're not the boss of me." "What is it to you?" "What do you care?" "Leave me alone." "You can't do that!" "I don't care." "So?" "So what?"

Even as I write this now, weeks after God showing this to me - my heart is pricked anew.

Lord, forgive my arrogance, my rebellion, my sin. Let me see my sin in all its ugly reality. I love you Lord. May my attitudes and actions reflect that every day.

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery and Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: